Managing this blog is handled through a variety of shell scripts. I have a script for executing
hugo to rebuild the site and copy the output of the
public directory to the folder where Nginx hosts it, for example. One of my scripts creates a tarball of the site and uses
rsync to copy it to another server so that, if my VPS blows up, I can easily retrieve the backup.
After composing yesterday’s post, though, I ran into an error with the backup script. It basically runs the following:
tar -zvcf /home/fail/backups/failti_me.tar.gz blog
This started throwing a warning:
tar: blog/public: implausibly old time stamp 1754-08-30 16:53:05.128654848 -0550
It claimed the public directory where Hugo publishes the compiled site contents to was created in 1754… which is probably a bit older than seems plausible. My blog still published correctly; it was only
tar being salty about the weird timestamp. I used
stat to check the directory and confirmed that the timetsamp on when it was modified was completely borked:
That told me:
File: blog/public/ Size: 4096 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 directory Device: fc01h/64513d Inode: 512063 Links: 73 Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 1000/ john) Gid: ( 1000/ john) Access: 2020-07-21 18:58:28.669384769 -0500 Modify: 1754-08-30 16:53:05.128654848 -0550 Change: 2020-07-21 18:58:28.189382080 -0500 Birth: -
After some searches online I found the following GitHub issue thread confirming that plenty of people other than me were seeing the same problem and that it was still present in the current version of Hugo. While I had initially been confused as to why I suddenly started seeing this now since I hadn’t upgraded Hugo or anything like that, I saw a few comments indicating that placing items in Hugo’s static directory seemed to trigger the issue; I had placed an image there from my last post, and it was the first addition to that directory in quite a while. With some additional searching and testing, I verified I could do the following to simply ignore the warning from
tar -zvcf /home/fail/backups/failti_me.tar.gz blog --warning=no-timestamp
I didn’t like the idea of having such a wonky date on my filesystem; as a result, I started searching for how I could fix it by manually adjusting the “Modify” timestamp.
touch seemed like a likely candidate, and after reviewing the man page I saw that there was a
-t flag for it which would allow me to manually specify the timestamp. I basically just wanted to set it to the current time so I added the following to the my script which recompiles the site, placing it after the build and before
rsyncing the contents of the public directory to the Nginx directory.
STUPID=$(date "+%y%m%d%H%M") touch -t $STUPID /home/john/blog/public/
Sure enough, after running this the resulting
tar command has no qualms. Likewise, re-running the
stat command from above shows the current date and time as the modified time on the directory. I really hope this bug gets fixed soon since it seems to have been around for a hot minute, but at least I have a workaround for the time being.