This title is terrible, but I couldn’t come up with anything witty. When I switched from a more “traditional” blogging platform like Wordpress or Blogger to compiling my own blog (first with Jekyll and then with Hugo, which is what I’m currently using for this site), I was geeked with the idea that my content was no longer “trapped” in the platform I was using. For example, my posts weren’t beholden to Wordpress, only usable with a Wordpress instance. Instead they were all saved in Markdown files that could be compiled and hosted in various ways. I liked feeling as though I wasn’t stuck being dependent upon the platform, the themes (I can change them!), etc.
I realized a couple of days ago, though, that while compiling my own site has more freedom, it’s still not entirely free unless you’re doing it all from scratch. I went to make my first new post in quite some time, and before making it I thought I should check for a new release of Hugo. Sure enough, a new release was posted a few days before. I copied it down to the MetaArray and created a new post. After authoring it, I ran my script to publish the post. It worked as expected, but I noticed the following warning:
WARNING: Page’s Now is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Use now (the template func).
Having no clue what the hell that was supposed to mean, I did a few searches. I determined that it was related to functionality used by my theme which was being phased out. I never dug much into themes, and only changed what little was required for me to get the content I liked on the screen. I’ve used the Hyde X theme basically since I created this site, so I figured I’d check if there was an update. Unfortunately, the latest version of it was posted over a year ago. It sucked, but it was possibly for the best since I foolishly made zero note of what all I had changed from the default theme. I started reading up on the “Page’s Now” functionality, but it didn’t take me long to realize that I didn’t actually care enough about this to fix it myself.
Instead, I went back to the Hugo Themes page and started looking for another. I very quickly settled upon After Dark, which looked nice and simplistic. After recompiling my site with it, I was geeked to see that I didn’t get any errors. I also was a pretty big fan of how elegantly they handled things like customizing the CSS by creating a blank CSS file in the template directory for your own changes.
Overall, the whole process of figuring out what was going on and swapping to another theme took me less than an hour; it was hardly a PITA. But it was a nice little reminder against thinking that once I created my site that I’d be home free, never needing to worry about changes. Probably the only way to actually do that would be to code the entire thing myself by hand in HTML… either that or simply never updating Hugo. And who am I kidding… I love new features!